Friday, June 18, 2010

Thank you Patons!

For giving me something to post about for the third time this week! Paton's current newsletter has an interesting free pattern for crocheted socks:
http://www.patonsyarns.com/newsletters/june2010/stretchSocks_BasicCrochetSock.pdf?utm_source=ravelry&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=pdfcrochetsock&utm_campaign=PatonsJune2010

I've used this yarn to knit socks and while I did have to be careful not to stretch it too tightly while knitting, I really liked the finished result. And though I can only judge by the pattern photo, this crochet version looks like it would be more comfortable to wear in shoes than other corcheted socks I've seen. I just happen to have some of this yarn in my stash (and it's been separate from the horrible-infested-yarn-that-will-not-be-named) so I might just have to give this a try... I have some small crochet hooks lying around and bought one of those spongy handle covers to help them be more comfy to use.

I also like that it's a yarncraft that might not be too bad to do in the summer. They carry a decent selecton of Patons stretch at the HL near me, so they might have it at yours, too. When it's not on sale it's 4.99 per skein, and it takes at least 2 skeins for the pattern, but if you alter the pattern by making the leg much shorter (for ankle socks) you could maybe get by with 1 skein, although with crochet it might take 2 skeins anyway.

I'm in no way advising this pattern to anyone, just throwing it out there, as I haven't tried it myself.... but it's free, so if you crochet, why not give it a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
This is my place to talk about crafting, what I make, and maybe even why I make it.